Funding Sources & Background
The State Housing Trust Fund was established in 1991 by the 72nd Legislature, Senate Bill 546, to create affordable housing for low- and very low-income individuals and families. It is the only State-authorized source of funding for affordable housing programs. Funding sources consist of appropriations or transfers made to the fund, unencumbered fund balances, and public or private gifts or grants. The Department's State Housing Trust Fund Plan details the strategy for expending the appropriations or transfers.
During the Regular Session of the 86th Legislature, the Department was appropriated additional General Revenue for the State Housing Trust Fund in the amount of $10,443,402 for the 2020-2021 Biennium.
|Total Annual General
2020-2021 Housing Trust Fund Plan
- 2020-2021 HTF Biennial Plan, amended on December 12, 2019 (PDF)
- 2020-2021 HTF Biennial Plan, approved on June 27, 2019 (PDF)
With Board approval, the Department has determined to program and expend the 2020-2021 State Housing Trust Fund appropriations in the amount of $10,443,402 as follows:
2020-2021 Biennial Funds for State Housing Trust Fund
|Use of Funds||Amount|
|Total Biennial Appropriation||$10,443,402|
|Less 10% Administration for TDHCA||($1,044,340)|
|Net Balance Available for TDHCA Programming||$9,399,062|
|Less $3M/year for Texas Bootstrap Program*||($6,000,000)|
|Less $1,699,531/year for Amy Young Barrier Removal Program||($3,399,062)|
|Total Remaining to be Programmed||$0|
*Per Section 2306.7581 (a-1) of the Texas Government Code, at least $3,000,000 each state fiscal year is required for this purpose.
- 2018-2019 HTF Biennial Plan, approved on June 29, 2017 (PDF)
- 2016-2017 HTF Biennial Plan, amended on January 28, 2016 (PDF)
- 2014-2015 HTF Biennial Plan (PDF)
- 2012-2013 HTF Biennial Plan (PDF)
- 2010-2011 HTF Biennial Plan (PDF)
- 2009 HTF Annual Plan (PDF)
- 2008 HTF Annual Plan (PDF)