TDHCA Energy Efficiency Rule
Energy Efficiency Measures for TDHCA Single Family Programs
Texas Government Code §2306.187 mandates that TDHCA include minimum energy efficiency requirements for all single family construction activities such as new construction, reconstruction, and rehabilitation.
The most recent version of that rule, effective January 8, 2017, can be found in the Texas Administrative Code, Title 10, Part 1, Chapter 21, Minimum Energy Efficiency Requirements for Single Family Construction Activities (Secretary of State website)
Effective Sep. 1, 2016, the state adopted Chapter 11 of the 2015 International Residential Code as the Building Energy Efficiency Performance Standards for residential (one- and two-family residences of three stories or less above grade) construction in Texas. See Texas Health and Safety Code, Chapter 388 ,the State Energy Conservation Office (State Energy Convservation website) and the Texas A&M Energy Systems Laboratory (tamu.edu) for more information.
New Construction or Reconstruction Required Compliance Forms:
- For New Construction or Reconstruction within the jurisdiction of a municipality, the requirements of Texas Health and Safety Code, Chapter 388 must be met.
- For New Construction or Reconstruction in Unincorporated Areas, with a Start of Construction date after January 1, 2012 and prior to September 1, 2016: use the Texas Building Energy Code Compliance Form For Residential Buildings in Unincorporated Areas – 2009 IRC
- For New Construction or Reconstruction in Unincorporated Areas, with a Start of Construction date on or after September 1, 2016: use the Texas Building Energy Code Compliance Form For Residential Buildings in Unincorporated Areas – 2015 IRC
Manufactured Housing Units installed after January 8, 2017 shall be ENERGY STAR certified.
Single Family Rehabilitation activities beginning after January 8, 2017 and funded by TDHCA are required to meet the requirements found in 10 TAC 21.6 (Secretary of State website). Required Compliance Forms are determined at the Program level.
- International Code Council®, 2015 International Residential Code (iccsage.org)
- Energy Star (energystar.gov)
- WaterSense (epa.gov)
- 10 CFR 430.32 (ecfr.gov)