Texas Department of Housing & Community Affairs - Building Homes and Strengthening Communities

Migrant Labor Housing Facilities


Effective September 1, 2005, responsibility for the licensing and inspection of migrant labor housing facilities has been transferred from the Department of State Health Services to the Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs. The law that governs these matters, formerly found at Chapter 147, TEXAS HEALTH AND SAFETY CODE, has been transferred to Chapter 2306, TEXAS GOVERNMENT CODE, and re-designated Subchapter LL of Chapter 2306, TEXAS GOVERNMENT CODE. The law that made these changes, HB 1099 (79th Legislature, regular session), also empowered the Board of the Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs to set the fee for the license required to operate a migrant labor facility at up to $250 for a one year license 2306.929, TEX. GOV. CODE.

Important Documents

Questions about licensing may be directed to Joe Garcia at 1-800-500-7074 ext. 54999 or 1-512-475-4999 or email Joe.Garcia@tdhca.state.tx.us.

Questions about inspections or issues at migrant labor housing facilities may be directed to Bradlee Dansbee at 1-877-724-5676 or 1-806-794-2105.